Wednesday 20 April 2011

Magazine Review - Beads & Beyond May 2011


Beads and Beyond is a British based monthly magazine. I don't get it every month as there aren't that many seed bead projects, but when I do I am always impressed with the design, format and layout which is very fresh, modern and clean and makes this magazine a real pleasure to flick through. This issue has 14 featured projects including stringing, lampwork, wirework and one seed bead piece. There are also features on jewellery makers, 15 lariats in purple and lime and the designer challenge projects.




Of the projects my favourite is the seed bead necklace (no surprises there!), which is a beautiful blue floral pendant with a fringed strap. There are some particularly beautiful wire work projects in this issue, the treasures of the sea projects are inspired by nautilus shells and are just stunning, also there is a wirework fossil pendant which I love and want to try making for myself. There is a very fashion led necklace called Anchors Away which includes stringing, wirework and a bit of sewing that would be perfect for this years nautical fashions, I really liked this one! The lampworked goldstone nuggets are also beautiful, though it's not a craft I practise, my husband has banned me from anything that involves a torch!




If you are interested in the nautical trend, there is a round up of beads and charms, including some fabulous swarovski fish crystal beads that I really want to own. There are lots of giveaways in this magazine too.




While this magazine will probably never be my absolute favourite, simply because there aren't enough seed projects for me, this magazine is a lovely general jewellery making magazine with some beautiful on trend projects. It's lovely to flick through and the photography is inspiring, so definitely worth a look!



Happy beading!

Sarahx




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great review Sarah! Have to admit that it's not one I buy regularly either for the same reason as you, I do love my seed beads :)